Cabinet and shelf projects are, for the most part, affordable, and often can be built without disrupting your home.
Set up a work area in your basement, garage, or spare room-someplace that doesn't need to be cleaned up regularly-and you'll have the luxury of being able to leave the project for a few days, returning to it as time allows.
Having a separate workroom helps keep a project relaxing and enjoyable.
This Step-by-Step Guide to building Cabinets and Shelves tells you all you need to know to design and build your own shelves or cabinets and provides plans for specific projects.
It will teach you to make shelves that seem to float on the wall, adjustable shelves, stately shelves surrounded by classic moldings, or even simple shelves made by stacking found objects.
The section on kitchen cabinets tells you how to order and install factory-made cabinets, as well as how to build your own. You'll also learn to add custom elements to existing cabinets to make them more attractive and more functional.
Here are some of the challenges you will be able to easily master:
- Will the boards be strong enough, and will they last?
- How do you attach the shelf sturdily without making it look clunky?
- Is your cabinet or shelf unit straight, and are the boards level? How can you cut the board ends square and without splinters?
- What if you want to change the height of different shelves later?
- How can you give the project a durable and attractive finish?